In many ways, 2008 was a pretty crappy year for me.
- I lost a job
- I got a new job
- My dad lost a lung
- I lost a dog
- I lost another dog
- I misplaced a third dog, but it came back alive
- I lost a cat
- I moved
- I lost another job
- My wife left me
- I found a job, a second job and a third job
- I lost my home (i.e. the kids moved to a new house)
- I got nothing for Christmas
Just writing this down has been painful. But it was not all bad.
- I did some volunteer work for an organization that really deserved it
- I created a couple of neat open source projects
- I ran a marathon in November, something I would not have thought possible even as late as August
- I discovered that I was too hard on myself, and learned to stop beating myself up so much
I sometimes wonder if I would have given up those good things in order to keep the bad things from happening. But I’m not sure. Which, I guess, means that as bad as the bad has been, the good outweighs it.
So far, 2009 has been pretty decent. Here’s hoping it stays that way.